*This is the 2nd installment of Go, Green Mamas’ new series,”How Your Family Can Thrive in a COVID-19 Summer.”. Stay tuned and follow this blog for access to the entire 12-day series!
Mamas, we are overwhelmed. Let’s face it, we already were, but now we don’t even have our routine resources in place for catching a break once in a while. No summer school, no summer camp, no parents’ night out . . . it’s all on us, and we are feelin’ it bigtime.
So, hey, I am not here to guilt trip you about relenting to a little more screentime than you are typically okay with. I get it. And some of you amazing mamas are still able to maintain your pre-COVID screentime rules. If so, I applaud you bigtime. But for those of us who are slippin’, here are 18 ways to protect your kids from EMF.
What is EMF?
This one is tricky. I will never profess to have a complete understanding of this hidden danger, but I can definitely point you to someone who does. Basically, EMF (electromagnetic fields) concerns revolve around the radiation coming from all the electronic devices we utilize in our daily lives.
While this radiation can certainly come from houshold items such as microwaves and televisions, it has only become a serious threat to our health in recent years due to the advancing technology of computers and cell phones.
As with gluten and dairy, some of us are living in bodies that are simply more sensitive to this radiation. Depending levels of exposure, these sensitivities can have serious effects on our health. With the newly achieved 5G technology, this is only expected to become way worse.
- microwave ovens
- house energy meters
- wireless (Wi-Fi) routers
- Bluetooth devices
- power lines
- ultraviolet light
Therefore, as with all toxins we come into contact with, it is important to be aware and learn how to limit our risks. That’s why I have come up with the following list of 16 ways to protect our kids (and ourselves) from EMF.
We may not be able to slow down modern society from advancing at the sacrifice of our family’s health, but we do have all the power in making lifestyle changes that will lower our risks.
- Brain fog
- Dizziness and vertigo
- Frequent illnesses
- HPA axis dysfunction (also known as adrenal fatigue)
- Hormone imbalances
- Cancer or increased in cancer risk
- Put one foot of distance between your child’s device & their body at all times.
- Get in the habit of switching your phone to airplane mode whenever possible.
- Turn off your Wi-fi router at night time when your family is sleeping.
- Designate an area outside of your teen’s bedroom where there phone is to go at bedtime.
- Use wired headphones rather than bluetooth.
- Connect your computer to an ethernet cable instead than Wi-Fi.
- Avoid using a laptop on your lap.
- Never keep a phone in your pocket.
- Use protection tools by a reputable source like Defendershield under your laptop, and also for your cell phone.
- Ensure that your homes electrical wiring is done properly to minimize EMFs.
- Sleep away from circuit breakers or large appliances that run overnight, including if the appliance is on the other side of the wall.
- Filter out dirty electricity using dirty electricity filters.
- Take regular digital detoxes.
- Consider an earthing or grounding practice to neutralize positive ions coming from electronics.
- Try using a Himalayan salt lamp to generate negative ions that help mitigate the effects.
- Consume a diet high in healthy antioxidants.
Is EMF exposure something that has been on your mind, or is this news to you? If you were already aware, what have you been doing? Or what do you plan to do now that you are in the know?
If you found this information useful, sign up here for access to my green mama vault of resources–only for subscribers!